Soothing sounds wash over and through me. I hear them, and feel their vibrations with every aspect of my being. Stress dissipates; mind chatter ceases; muscle tightness leaves. I am deeply relaxed and strongly grounded in my own inner source of peace. I breathe in unconditional love for myself and all others; and exhale gratitude for the sounds and all that has brought me to this present NOW moment.
From this peaceful place, I share Sounds for the Soul with others. Whether I am accompanying a yoga class, leading a group meditation, working with an individual on a personal issue, or seeing a referral from a therapist, assisting their client in the journey to transcend trauma, I begin with the practice of centering myself with sound.
What is sound? Everything that moves vibrates, making sound, whether we hear it with our ears or perceive it through the cells in our body. All matter is also energy, and is constantly changing shape and form. Each form has its own frequency. By changing the vibratory rate, the structure of matter can be changed (the science of cymatics).
When our bodies are healthy, they vibrate in harmony. If an area becomes diseased, its vibratory rate changes to a discordant pattern. Sound helps restore the natural balance of perfect harmony through a principle called sympathetic resonance. When two objects are vibrating in the same vicinity (i.e. a Tibetan singing bowl and your body) the body tries to match the vibration of perfection, harmony and balance that the bowl emits when played, and the body’s brainwaves entrain to the bowl’s vibration.
Sound is conducted especially well through water, and our bodies are made of a high percentage of water. In this process, our body’s immune, endocrine, circulatory, respiratory and metabolic systems are changed. Every atom, molecule, cell, gland and organ of the body is positively affected by the vibrations.
If we add intention, the process is further enhanced. Jonathan Goldman uses an equation of frequency + intention = healing. Personally, I add unconditional love + gratitude + frequency + intention = healing.
Receiving the sounds of Tibetan and crystal bowls, gongs, and other instruments help the body achieve a very deep state of relaxation, allowing one’s inner healer to do its best work. Resulting benefits include: decreased stress and anxiety, improved coping abilities, decreased pain levels, decreased respiratory and heart rate, increased self-awareness and improved creativity.
Individual responses after transformative sound journeys include:
- “I am transported to other dimensions. Physically, I’m in Iowa, but I hear the ocean. I feel the waves.”
- “I used to wake up daily with migraines. Now my headaches are almost gone. I only occasionally have a very mild one.”
- “I forget about my body’s denseness. My soul feels free to travel.”
- “It was better than a massage.”
- “I could feel my body dissolving, experiencing oneness and complete connectedness with everything.”
- “I came in feeling so stressed out. I am now so relaxed. This is wonderful!”
- “I was able to physically release years of guilt and shame.”
- “I had been unable to eat for days. My stomach was in painful knots. Now it is relaxed and I am able to eat again.”
- “I felt 35 years of anger release and leave my body. I have experienced a permanent shift.”
- “I’ve never been a visual person. But I see colors, symbols and geometric shapes during the session.”
- “I left my awareness of this time and place and was transported inter-dimensionally. It was so peaceful and relaxing.”
As I work with individuals and groups, I see sound transforming our world. It is my mission to be of service in this transformation, working on myself first and then sharing this vision with the world:
Soundwaves wash over us, penetrating every particle of our multidimensional beingness, awakening awareness, and expanding consciousness. We follow the sounds within, reaching a vortex of energy that expands into infinite dimensions. We are at peace: complete peace. We are in balance and harmony with all of nature, with all the cosmos, with All That Is. And we are grateful.
Copyright 2014 Deb Jennings. All rights reserved.
Deb Jennings has studied and played music since age 5, and she has studied and practiced sound healing the last 20 years. She has studied with Jonathan Goldman and Buddhist monks in China, Tibet and India. Deb has a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and is trained in all three levels of Usui Reiki. Deb is owner of Sounds for the Soul in Des Moines, Iowa, and is available for private and group sessions, meditations, presentations, workshops and retreats.
“Magical Healing Journey Through Sacred Sound”
An Interview with Deb Jennings
by Michelle Kahle
|Deb Jennings playing the Tibetan bowls|
|Deb enjoyed being a part of the healing WCF fellowship
at the Iowa Conference Center in July